Unite – a union that wins for you
Building a decent future for you and your families is what inspires me. As your Unite general secretary I have been proud to draw on the talents of our union to turn it into the greatest fighting force for working people in these islands.
I have delivered on my promises, and duty, to you:
- Building a financially secure union fit to withstand turbulent times.
- Building a strike fund of over £35 million to defend members fighting for justice.
- Leading from the front in the fight against political attacks on our movement.
- Securing the merger with Ucatt, ensuring one strong, effective union for construction workers.
- Organising campaigns that have grown our union across core sectors of our economy.
- Winning investment in energy, automotive and defence industries to bring decent jobs to thousands of members and their families.
- Thousands of new community members, standing shoulder-to- shoulder with the vulnerable in our communities and members across our union.
- A leverage team to workers facing attack by the worst employers
- Justice for blacklisted workers at Crossrail and elsewhere, and continuing the fight for justice at Shrewsbury and Orgreave.
- An Olympic bonus for London bus drivers.
- Justice for sacked workers at Liverpool Homes.
- Pay bargaining secured and our shop stewards defended at Honda.
- A world class legal service to pursue bad employers, integrated into our industrial work to win for you.
- Leading the fight against failed austerity, defending our NHS and public services and challenging the rise of in-work poverty.
- Working with our international partners to oppose damaging trade deals TTIP and CETA between the EU, US and Canada.
- Proudly investing in equalities training, rolling out our ‘Dignity at Work’ programme across the union.
- From Sports Direct to BMW, Easyjet to Jaguar Land Rover, from shipbuilding to London Buses, Unite is winning and improving conditions in workplaces across the UK and Ireland.
Much has been achieved together, but in these days of tremendous uncertainty, there is much more to do.
The pledge I give you is that your union will face these challenges head on, determined to get the best for you and your families.